Pre-Op & Post-Op Instructions
- No food or liquids after midnight the night before surgery
- Take your pre-op medications as prescribed
- Wear loose comfortable clothing
- No fingernail polish
- No make up or lipstick
- No contact lenses
*Someone must drive you and remain in the office during your surgery appointment.
- Be still and try to keep your head elevated.
- Leave the gauze over the wound as instructed, usually 1 to 2 hours. Remove the gauze to take medications, eat, or sleep.
- To minimize swelling, apply an ice pack to your face over the areas involved as soon as possible after surgery, 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. This should be used for the first 24 to 30 hours only.
- Take your prescriptions as directed following directions on package.
- Do not use mouthwash on the day of your surgery. On the day following your surgery, mix ¼ teaspoon of salt in an 8 oz. glass of warm water. Gently swish and spit. You can resume normal toothbrushing after 24 hours.
- Smoking of any kind is strongly discouraged as it increases pain, increases risk of infection and dry sockets, and delays healing.